Saturday, July 7, 2018

Growing your Social Capital 20A

Domain Expert (Zac Trampel) 
Mr. Trampel has spent over 20 years in the field of vending machines and understands which type to place where and how to achieve maximum results. He fills in this spot through his expert with selling and maintaining the type of machine that I wish to produce. I was able to find him when I reached out to family as my uncle once worked for him. The exchange was simple he would answer my questions and the favor that I would return was to continue my schooling. By bringing him into the fold I am able to have insight into the field and have access to the experience that I am lacking when it comes to choosing select locations. 

Market Expert (Brandon Yang) 
Mr. Yang has been a multi store manager for all of the UF campus's Starbucks, which allows him to fill this spot as I am to target similar markets with my caffeinated beverages. I was able to contact this person by simply walking into a Starbucks and asking for who was in charge until I was told "this is it kid". Once I asked him for insight into the market he was able to answer my questions and in exchange for this favor I was requested to fill out a survey and buy a coffee, which I did with ease. By bringing Mr. Yang into the fold I was able to gain a potential ally for coffee statistics which can help my marketing plans a great deal, due to his experience. 

Supply Expert (Chase Holcum) 
Mr. Holcum has contact within the Pepsi organization more specifically the vending machine supply aspect; which allows him to fill in the supply expert role. I was able to meet and talk with Mr. Holcum when I simply saw him filling out the vending machines on campus and asked for a moment of his time. He answered all my questions and gave me the contact info for his supplier/boss which I may use in the future, as for the favor he asked from me he simply asked me to "stay in school and if it takes off don't forget about the guy who helped you out." With Mr. Holcum in the fold he may be able to increase my understanding and social capital with bigger name suppliers. 

Reflect
This experience has allowed me to see the potential in networking and forced me to be more aware of who exactly is in the room. This differed from my past experiences as it forced me to look for ways into a monolith with very little time, days and weeks as apposed to months. 

2 comments:

  1. Hi Connor,
    I think that the people you chose to interview for this assignment were good and smart choices. It's cool that Mr. Halcum has connection to people in the Pepsi organization and that you just randomly saw him on campus filling up the vending machines one day. I also agree with you that this assignment allowed me to see the potential networking can do for you as it definitely gives you an advantage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Connor,

    I think that you did a great job on this assignment. The people that you selected to interview really showed how the importance of having meaningful relationships with people as they can add great value to your projects. Networking is key for business operations.I think that your reflection was spot on as you really grasped the point of this assignment. Overall, you nailed this.

    ReplyDelete