Friday, June 1, 2018

Testing the Hypothesis



The opportunity that I would like to talk about is the prebuilt dinner/lunch box in the same vein as blue apron but sponsored and directed to colleges and universities.  I came upon this idea when I tried to order a ready meal service but they failed to deliver to my apartment complex. I took the idea that the school could generate good PR by offering healthy home cooked food at a premium to those who subscribed to the service. Where users on a schedule plan of their choosing could pick up or have delivered to them a ready to cook meal, with simple directions (may include pictures). This would allow users to learn how to cook for themselves and benefit the users through good food, as many if not all nutritionists agree that a healthy diet is key to a healthy person.

I had my hypothesis questioned by those I interviewed and while they agreed that my idea showed promise they pointed out flaws that I quickly adapted into my product. Originally I had this marketed towards students only through a school login, but they reminded me of faculty and the parents of the students may also wish to purchase this product. So I added a school ID system that included everyone with access to the service. They also pointed out that delivery would be tough for those who live on campus dorms so I added the drop boxes where you can redeem your box with a valid ID. Finally the most common flaw was that some students may not cook their food right away to which I found (through research) a box with a cooler lining that allows the food to be kept fresh up to one week. Those were the main criticism I came across but overall the idea was well received by most of them (4/5 would be interested in this service).

Who: Colleges and Universities
What: Pre-built cook yourself meals
 Why: The fear and desire to eat healthy or home cooked meals at school.

Who tested: (4 students 1 faculty) 4/5 of those questioned responded to wanting a service similar to this.
What tested: The boundaries of the need only spread as far as students as they are using disposable income and are in situations that make marketing an easy to cook and healthy meal easy as they simply have to open the box and follow the easy recipe.
Why Tested: The set of whys was rather large for this ranging from “I want to eat home cooked meals” to “I don’t have the time to go shopping”, but the most common which was mentioned in all 5 was that “I want to eat healthier”.






2 comments:

  1. Hi Connor,
    I really liked your idea of having home cooked meals delivered to college campuses and universities. I know how difficult it can be meal prep your own healthy meals for the week and how time consuming it is to cook everyday. It's obvious that you took the time to think through the logistics of this idea and I think you did an excellent job with this post! Love the idea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Connor,
    I really like this idea because it can teach kids a healthier eating while in college. Although most students are on meal plans, I usually cook myself so I know what Im eating and how many calories Im actually taking in. You had a really good post, but I wish you had interviews to show if people see this necessary around campus. Other than that, Great job!

    ReplyDelete